Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pink Parfum Silk Chiffon Blouse



So this is my first make from the pile of fabric I got at the Sew Expo in Puyallup this year. The fabric is a silk chiffon, lovely but fiddly to work with. Usually. Fortunately for me, this project went on without a hitch. It was just a tad ravelly, but I pressed on rather quickly after cutting before it has the opportunity to go batty on me. 

I started over the weekend (i think) and done with the sleeves (which was the last thing I inserted, after already hemming it) by noon.



I used my TNT/go to bodice pattern, and then used pattern McCall's M6648 for the collar part. 
 

And I kinda "drafted" my own sleeves based on my other projects. I made a pleat on the top part of the sleeves instead perhaps gathering it to fit the armsyce, and it doesn't look good. Obviously, mix and match, trial and error style of designing is not working here. The sleeves looks silly with the pleat, because it is already a roomy type sleeve. It seems messy in the pics because I didn't iron the sleeves after sewing it in. Coz I will take the seam ripper to it and try a different way... Not looking forward to unpicking all those french seams...



I lined it with lining fabric that feels silky but most definitely a synthetic (I didn't check the label when purchasing it at Joann's). Nahh, it's not those shiny bemberg rayon ones, they don't have it in this pink color when I was there last... 

I didn't line the sleeves.


Did you spot the mistake among my neat insides (albeit not too thin french seams)?


Because I wanted a neat inside finish, I had the bust darts sandwiched between the main blouse and the lining. Ugghh! If you look closely (in real life) you might be able to detect the lining's bust darts, although the prints kinda camouflaging it on the outside... I hope. (tiny phew) But hey, I'm telling you about it here, so you're bound to look at me closely... Well, just look at the french seams okay. I may or may not take the seam ripper to amend this. Most definitely not tonight. 

Probably not even this week. Who knows. This is supposed to be my mother's day blouse. I planned to wear it with a white jeans, which I didn't have... but me and the Bean went to the thrift store today for a lil bit of last hurrah stashing before SarahLiz's 2013 Style the Stash Sew-a-long commences in June. She did say it's okay, LOL... But I was good. Just picked up a white jeans for me, 2 summer shirts for hubby, and one boucle looking fabric that I am going to practice my jacket sewing with, just as planned for the sew-a-long... I hope it has enough yardage...

Oh... have I told you that I didn't like how this blouse looks on me? All the hard work... and lovely cute fabric. I looked quite mumsy in it. I know it's mother's day blouse, and I am a mommy, but still... You know I like roomy blouse, but the part I don't like is the upper part, around the shoulder and neck. I am convinced that the style with the collar and the (roomy sleeves perhaps) makes me look like a top heavy triangle... I will wear it this weekend, and since it's Me-Made-May, I'll post the proof on Monday. :(

____
[Note: Sleeves are now fixed. ]

12 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for tackling silk chiffon! The thought alone makes me batty. =) Will belting it or wearing it with a jacket un-mumsy the look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got quite a bunch of silk chiffons in my stash that needed to be sewn up... uggg... they are such pretty fabric that begs to be bought, but kinda scary to tackle...
      I think a nice jacket will do nicely... Thanks for the idea! Will have to investigate my wardrobe for one...

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty. I was picturing it worn with white jeans and thinking what a great springy color combo the pink and white would be. So bummed to read you did not like how you looked in it. Enjoy your Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! I am totally pairing it with white jeans too :) I feel much better this morning about it, but something definitely needed to be done around the shoulder part first...

      Delete
  3. Hi Far, it's amazing what a good sleep does so that you can look at the project anew (I've been known to be disgusted with my sewing efforts and then throwing them out, only to retrieve the garment the next day - wash it and start again!). It is pretty Far, and I think to wear on Mother's day is fine - but I quite understand how you feel about the top not flattering you - although you may feel differently later. It would be lovely to wear when it is really hot though. I think you did a good job for your first effort - and no-one is going to see inside. The fact you manage at all when you have Bean to look after as well is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! This morning started to do the unpicking and resizing the shoulder... Hopefully will be ready before the weekend ;)

      Delete
  4. Far, I'm also nominating you for the one lovely blog award/very inspiring blogger award. You can pick them at at my blog. I think the buttons are very pretty for the blog sidebar :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww.. Thanks so much for thinking of me for the blog award SarahLiz! :) I've hopped over your page earlier on, but was on the mobile. Will thank you good and proper soonest!

      Delete
  5. It's very pretty; and it is interesting how the colour looks quite different from one picture to the next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! Some with light on, some with flash on, hehehe...

      Delete
  6. So pretty!!!! I like how you left the sleeves unlined. The collar tie is a great feature. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! :) Collar tie was inspired by you actually. ;)

      Delete

Hello there! Thanks for stopping by and reading my page. I love hearing from you, so thank you for taking the time to comment, I truly appreciate it! :)