Thursday, February 28, 2013

Is It Spring Yet?

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't... It's green all the time here it seems even while freezing cold (to me) so forgive me if I am a little bit confused (or just wishful?).

For once I am sewing ahead of season (again, just according to me), just so that I have spring and summer friendly clothes to wear when the time comes... :) Enough is enough with wearing my winter fabric-friendly in summer and vice versa. So with that, I geared up enough courage to cut into my most spring-y/summer-y fabric, a pretty lightweight white and yellow silk I purchased online (from Gorgeous Fabrics) last year.

Somehow I thought that I got only 1.5 yards of this silk (instead I have 2, oopps), so my mind was made up to make it into a flowy top, and the best candidate for this is McCall's M6711 top pattern I've just recently made in a black version.


























As you can see, I've lined the top. I didn't decide to line this while planning (fail, I thought I've covered all the bases), as I figured I will just wear a camisole underneath. But just before I sew down the inside of the shoulder facing thingy to my top front it occurred to me that I will hate it when this lightweight see through fabric going to show how clingy a camisole underneath would be. No sirree.. So I unpick as carefully as I can the armholes (that were already finished with a rayon binding) and planned for a lining.

Luckily I have a nice lightweight white lining fabric in my stash, rayon I think, and since I am not going to unpick the whole top (as the front V neckline has been neatly pressed, and the seam french-seamed) and reline/underline everything, I opted to have the front lining piece to have a U neckline and cut on fold. The back is the same, also cut on fold. Both lining pieces then were attached to the shoulder/neck/upper facing (not sure if this make sense).

Am I liking the fact that you can see a big U in front of my top under my sheer V-necked top? No. I'm crying inside a bit because I would've preferred that it is fully lined. But would I unpick the neat v-neck and risk my sheer silk fabric to be torn? I'm afraid not. So I will have to live with it, and have to think on how to have a nice full lining on a V-neck top... Is it the same as a regular U neckline top? 

oh. and other adjustments I made from my black version are:
  • cut the back piece smaller, as it was too full
  • distributed the upper back gather to the whole back rather than just middle of the back:
















P/s: The black top's back is pulled down by the heavier velvet burnout knit fabric I used to complement the black silk.

So, my first fresh, spring top is done ahead of time for once. Other than the U lining neckline that's screaming at me, I love it! Truly. The fabric is great, very very sweet. Suzanne had the red (or orange?) one and made it into a very pretty dress. I have yet to wear mine out, just waiting for the perfect weather...


9 comments:

  1. I had that same silk, but in red! Love the print. So delicate and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the print too. Your dress is very pretty!

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about Spring. In the sewing seasons of my mind I'm switching back and forth between winter and spring right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might still have to sew winter friendly stuff, or all season type of clothes ;) but will try to use up my cheery light fabric for this coming spring/summer... it can be a little grey around here...

      Delete
    2. Green, yet grey. Overcast... lol

      Delete
  3. So pretty and fresh with those colours and the floral print! This will be perfect for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! Will be glad when summer's here :)

      Delete
  4. What a fresh spring top. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, despite the still slightly freezing weather I've worn it 3 times already... p/s: welcome to my blog!

      Delete

Hello there! Thanks for stopping by and reading my page. I love hearing from you, so thank you for taking the time to comment, I truly appreciate it! :)